We are thrilled to host a 2 day pop-up workshop with the amazing lettering artists Carla and Barbara from LearnBrushLettering. This beginners workshop is for anyone and everyone who has an interest in lettering!
What you will learn
- – You’ll learn the basic strokes needed to gain control of the brushes to create various letter widths as well as working with the paint consistency and flow.
- – Learn about brush types: round, square and pointed; and which are suited to the different lettering styles such as Casual and Script.
- – See inspiring demonstrations of her master brush skills.
- – Barbara will assist everyone to make sure they feel comfortable holding and manipulating the various brush sizes. She will encourage you to develop your own individuality when lettering with a brush.
Who is this for?
- – We’ll be starting with the basics so we can achieve a good understanding of brush lettering techniques. Complete beginners welcome. No experience necessary!
- – More experienced letterers wanting to learn new styles and techniques for their commercial and personal work such as logos, signage and typographic art pieces.
What will you take away
- – Your very own Brush Lettering Kit including a special lettering brush and practice guides, all in a personalised folder hand lettered by Barbara.
- – All of your work from the weekend plus a final project demonstrating your skills.
- – Lots of hands-on experience under one-on-one guidance from a master letterer to inspire your ongoing practice.
- – A weekend of switching off from the computer, hearing Barbara’s fascinating lettering stories and insights, making new friends, and discussion about how to make a career out of lettering.
- – Free access to our online course Learn Brush Lettering
- – Rad new skills to show off to your friends on Instagram.
Barbara studied show card and ticket writing in 1967 and hasn’t put down her brushes since. That’s 47 years of lettering experience!
Barbara produced thousands of ticket cards for Myer Melbourne, Grace Bros. and other retail outlets in Sydney. She started her own showcard, ticket writing and screen printing studio producing retail and promotional signage. She’s also a seasoned teacher, having taught ticket writing and calligraphy classes both privately and through TAFE NSW.
Barbara’s enthusiasm for lettering is contagious! She is thrilled to hear that lettering is making a huge comeback in the design scene, and wants to pass on her years of experience to fellow lettering nerds and type aficionados.
Carla is a full-time letterer and uses her brush skills for commercially for signage, branding and live lettering events. After studying graphic design at university and six years’ working at some of Australia’s top agencies in Sydney, Carla escaped to Berlin to soak up some international inspiration and nurture her love of lettering and artisan design.
On returning from what she affectionately calls her “Bowie years” in Germany, Carla set up her studio with the aim of bringing a warm, unique, human element to a world dominated by digital fonts and design.In 2016, Carla banded together with an all-girl lettering group called The Letterettes who pop up at events to create live lettering.
When and Where
When: 5-6 August, 2017.
Includes: Your own professional lettering brush, a personalized lettering kit, and lunch on both days
Time: 10-4pm both days
Sign up for our newsletter to get class updates or
email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Where: CraftsmanAve Studio, 117B 11th street – Brooklyn, Gowanus.
Transportation: Take the F, G or R train to 4th Ave – 9th St station.
Or a short cab ride via Battery Tunnel from Manhattan.